Friday, November 29, 2013

Cemetery Poem (for my love)


Michy McDannold

Cemetery Poem (for my love)

i'm sitting here at the 
cemetery
talking to myself
i think i'll probably
be here awhile
be doing this
wondering all along
if it will be enough

this is where i go
when none of it makes sense
just so you know

where it is quiet
my mind quiets
there is some sort of peace
in the finality

i think of papa
his letters
sent home while
out on the river
or out to sea
for months
and months on end
starting the letter, stopping
and beginning again
if only a sentence or two
in between the work
that keeps him away

how he called her
my love
and still she
drank just a little too much
a little too often

all this i learn from old letters
see in yellowed photographs

how she stared off-center
with a sadness around
the eyes
only laughing in the
photo when
he's seated next to her
and all those years
since she died
he lived on, puttering
through life

i wonder if he
pretended she was there
for the rest of it
for the baseball games
over the radio
the mornings in the garden
the looking out over
everything
wondering...
what does it matter
anyway

today on duncan ave
in diamond grove cemetery
it does not matter
i talk to myself
i will lie down in the
earth by myself
search for you in the next
life
and hope 
it will be easier

1 comment: