Friday, December 27, 2013

INTERVIEW: KEVIN RIDGEWAY


Name?  Kevin Ridgeway

Age? 31 years young

Location?  Southern California U.S.A.

How long have you been writing?  Since I was able to hold a crayon in my hand. 

Do you have a specific writing style?  Narrative poetry—dark and quirky snapshots of the universe I am but a tiny particle of. 

Do you write as a career?  I’m a starving poet, but I get by.

Do you write full-time?  Yes—it’s a full blown addiction. 

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer?  My new book of poems, All the Rage, published by Electric Windmill Press. 

What is your ultimate goal as a writer?  To continue to sharpen my craft and perhaps someday finish the novel that’s collecting dust bunnies in my bottom drawer next to my lithium. 

What is your greatest challenge as a writer?  Rejections!!!!

What projects of yours have been recently published?  All the Rage, a pocket-sized collection of poems published by Electric Windmill Press out of Boston.

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work?  I’m working on a poem called “Popeye the Sailor Man Issues Public Apology for Drunken Twitter Rant Against Albinos”.  Recent developments in social media and my general love for the sailor man have inspired this rare satiric poem…we’ll see how it shapes up!

Where can we find your work?  Google Kevin Ridgeway + poetry and you’re bound to find a treasure trove of my goofy verse…

       How often do you write?  I write at least a little bit every day.

       How do you react to rejections?  I shrug them off.  It’s a part of the gig.

       How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication?  I dance around in my underwear, do back flips and kiss my girlfriend very passionately.  And then I go back to my usual manic depressive self. 

       What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer? 

Listen to rock and roll, and play it LOUD.  Or find great writers who’ve been at it longer than you…I’ve been fortunate to benefit from their words of wisdom over the years. 

       What is your favorite book?  The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers

       Who is your favorite author?  Kurt Vonnegut

        If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why? 

Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath because I imagine he’s f—cking starving. 


        What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer?  Loneliness. 

        What is your favorite word?  Goon. 

        What makes you laugh?  Goons.  Many, many things…from a fart in church to a razor sharp witticism at a stuffy party. 

      What makes you cry?  Blind hatred and ignorance.

What is your preferred drink while you write?  Black, lukewarm coffee.

Beach or Mountains?  Mountains!

Cats or Dogs?  Cats. 

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?  I like them both equally for different reasons.  If I want some gentle melodies, those boys from Liverpool.  If I want dirty badass rock n roll, The Stones. 

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra?  Jimi Hendrix. 

Shakespeare or Bukowski?  Tough one…Bukowski is closer to my time, so I’ll go with him.


     Please provide as much or as little of the following information as you’d like.

Personal website/blog:  whothehelliskevinridgeway.blogspot.com

Facebook profile or page:  Kevin Ridgeway

Twitter profile:  Master Ridgeway (I rarely use it though)

Other page(s) or profile(s):  The Laurel and Hardy Fan Club

      Books for sale and/or press:  Burn through Today from Flutter Press and All the Rage from Electric Windmill Press.

      Anything you’d like to share about your country, its people, or native animals?

      My country never fails to provide me with great belly laughs due to the sheer amount of insanity and stupidity that goes on it at every minute of every day.  But I’m lucky to live here at the same time.  As for animals, I think the moose is the most fascinating, fucking weirdest creature in North America.  

2 comments:

  1. " If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why?

    Tom Joad from The Grapes of Wrath because I imagine he’s f—cking starving." - the best answer to this question I have EVER heard... Thanks for the laugh, and the terrific interview. Nice to know there are more of us out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy hearing from Mr. Ridgeway...

    ReplyDelete