Thursday, December 5, 2013

Psychedelic Dream


Nominated for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net, Neil Ellman writes from New Jersey.  Although he has published almost 900 poems in print and online journals, anthologies and chapbooks throughout the world, his total earnings from poetry amount to $50 or 5.5¢ per poem.  Thank goodness for Social Security.

Psychedelic Dream

                   I
In a sleep, in half this world
riding the rapids of my eyes
I am lost in a bottomless cave
hunted to exhaustion
by a psychedelic bird
who calls my name
in an alphabet of reds and blues
yellows and swirling greens
but not the name I know
or would ever choose.
                 II
If in a dream that bird
myself or both then snakes
tied into a writhing knot
we know each other’s face
as if it were our own
we see into our souls  
as if they were our own. 
                 III 
Floating above the earth
outside, in, around
perhaps awake
my demons wear
the mask of god
who doesn’t my name
and I am left alone
among the fragments
of my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment