Monday, January 6, 2014

INTERVIEW: CHARLIE SKINNER

Name?
Charlie Skinner.

Age? (Feel free to ignore this question completely)
Ancient.

Location?
Edinburgh

How long have you been writing?
About 10 years.

Do you have a specific writing style?
Nope. Like a sly poker player I like to mix up my game. It's never a good thing to be predictable.

Do you write as a career?
Nope.

Do you write full-time?
Fuck no.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
I had a wee one act play performed at the Traverse Theater … it was a strange sensation to see the actors reading out the very lines that I had toiled over, it made the piece come alive. I enjoyed that.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer?
I want to finish a book, just one, submit it, get it published.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer?
Writing that book.

What projects of yours have been recently published?
THE MORON & MARCIANO and A DANGEROUS GAME in RED FEZ … EVEN SERPENTS SHINE and THE PUBLISHING HOUSE SPEAKS inCITIZENS FOR DECENT LITERATURE (great name).

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work?
I'm busy trying to pen that book I mentioned earlier. I've nearly finished part I... so I'm about a third of the way. Which is a good feeling but what's better is that it doesn't read as being a total streak of dreadful pish. It was inspired by a short story I wrote called WHEN THE TRAMPS OF THE CITY SUCCUMBED TO THE CORRUPTING INFLUENCE OF POETRY

Where can we find your work?

How often do you write?
Ahma lazy bastard but ahm gontae get ma act the gether in this new yr.

How do you react to rejections?
I curse the very ground they walk on.

How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication?
With hearty cheer.

What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer?
There is none. Writing WILL drive you mad … but when you get something down that looks as if it works, well that's just the berries.

What is your favorite book?
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

Who is your favorite author?
Franz Kafka

If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why?
Hunter Thompson's alter ego, who is it Raoulle Duke? When you read that shit .. you just feel like WOW, I wanna be there.

What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer?
Obviously everybody has their idiosyncrasies but with me it's flies. I hate them. They put me off. 

What is your favorite word?
BASTARD.

What makes you laugh?
Hashish.

What makes you cry?
No hashish.

What is your preferred drink while you write?
Tea.

Beach or Mountains?
Beach

Cats or Dogs?
Dogs

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
Oh good christ, I do remember the sixties … I was only a little kid but I remember both of these esteemed artists being in the 45's stack in our house.

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra?
Jeezuz, neither.

Shakespeare or Bukowski?
Has to be the BUK.

Anything you’d like to share about your country, its people, or native animals?

Well there's gong to be an independence referendum in this new year on whether Scotland separates from the UK … I'm no big nationalist but if it rids us from being governed by those PRIVILEGED ENGLISH PUBLIC SCHOOL CUNTS. I'm voting yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment