Wednesday, January 8, 2014

INTERVIEW: NEWAMBA FLAMINGO

Name?
Newamba Flamingo

Location?
Far Far East

How long have you been writing?
My whole life, in some way or another

Do you have a specific writing style?
Not really, just whatever I'm feeling. But I like hardcore shit, comedy, and absurdism, mostly.

Do you write as a career?
Fuck no. Not in this for money. But I'll be happy to take some, if someone wants to give it to me.

Do you write full-time?
Only when I feel like it.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Been a few really cool places I got published in like Zygote in my Coffee, but probably the best thing has been the amount of traffic and feedback my blogs have received.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer?
To not suck. To get sucked as much as possible. To always try new things and never be stagnant.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer?
I think any writer's biggest challenge nowadays is just to be heard. There's a fuckton of writers out there, but not so many readers.

What projects of yours have been recently published?
Had a piece published in The Molotov Cocktail not too long ago. It's based on a true story, and the names were changed to protect the guilty.

http://themolotovcocktail.com/volume-4/vol-4-issue-14/chinesebabies/


What are you currently working on and what inspired this work?
Nothing. Have a story about a girl I wanna tell, though. Just haven't gotten around to writing it yet.

Where can we find your work?
On the Internet and through telepathy.

How often do you write?
Sometimes a lot. Sometimes not at all.

How do you react to rejections?
I usually forget about it pretty quickly. Not everyone's gonna like you or want your writing. That's how it is. Fuck 'em.

How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication?
I take a photograph of myself and masturbate to it.

What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer?
If you're sane, then you probably shouldn't be a writer.

What is your favorite book?
Don't have only one.. 1984, Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, American Psycho, Hurricane Punch, Fight Club, Oracle Bones, The Broom of the System... My favorite I've read recently is "White Noise" by Don Delillo.

Who is your favorite author?
So many,,, Mark Twain, Tim Dorsey, Chuck Palahniuk, David Foster Wallace, Sylvia Plath, Don Delillo...

If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why?
Serge Storms! So we could talk Florida history.

What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer?
Not getting paid enough, or at all for your writing, and having to resort to working 9-5.

What is your favorite word?
Fuck, because it can be used as a noun, adj, and verb. Though it might sound crude on the surface, go to Glasgow or NYC and hear all the wonderful variations. It's a thing of beauty.

What makes you laugh?
Prank phone calls, Joe Pesci, George Carlin, old episodes of Def Comedy Jam, the Sopranos, white people speaking tonal languages...

What makes you cry?
The Prison Industrial Complex, Fox News Channel, people who watch Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty, people who call celebrity couples "TomKat" and "Kimye"

What is your preferred drink while you write?
Coffee, better yet, Irish Coffee. The more Irish, the better.

Beach or Mountains?
I'm from Miami Beach and I wish we had a mountain or two there.

Cats or Dogs?
Both. But someone stole my cat a long time ago. I WANT IT BACK.

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
Combichrist.

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra?
Hendrix.

Shakespeare or Bukowski?
Neither.

Anyone who might give a fuck can seek out my writing:
Just google "Newamba Flamingo" or check out my Scribd page:

http://www.scribd.com/Newamba%20Flamingo/documents

No comments:

Post a Comment