Sunday, March 23, 2014

INTERVIEW: DAVID S. POINTER


Name? My mother named me Scott David Pointer. The attending nurse scribbled down David Scott Pointer on the birth certificate. I have been Scott or David every since then. In the service a few people called me Pointman.

Age? (Feel free to ignore this question completely) Timeless small press phantom both online, print and audio every once in a while. I was born in 1962 in Kansas City, Missouri.

Location? I am currently residing with my two daughters in Murfreesboro, TN.

How long have you been writing? In inner spirit miles-not long enough.

Do you have a specific writing style? No. I am open to whatever the muse guides me to do.

Do you write as a career? I live in a land down under called the American small press. Every once in a while my writing goes over seas through online channels or postal mail.

Do you write full-time? I juggle the writing duties through child care, pet care, full time employment, full time unemployment, part-time online work, volunteer work, personal injury and whatever else the years and decades throw at me.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishments as a writer? A Midwestern Book Reviewer once wrote that my poem “Poverty Grants The Exclusive” was one of the greatest and most powerful poems in history. Beyond that, persistence in a marginalized field is tough. Let me explain further, hopefully to help some young writers to keep going or refrain from suicide. In 2012, I was asked to serve as an advisory panel member at “Writing For Peace.” The organization teaches young people 13-19 to write for world peace.. That was one of the nicest things that ever happened to me.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer? I try to pan for gold by having the next masterpiece roll out of the barrel of my ink pen. I try for broader readership and to help your writers when I can.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer? Accepting and thriving over the course of a lifetime that I am working in a highly marginalized field.

What projects of yours have been recently published?  I have recent work included in:

Proud to Be: Writings By American Warriors, Volumes I & II
The Southern Poetry Anthology Series for Georgia and Tennessee, Volumes V&VI
The Bukowski Anthology
Poe-It Anthology
Serial Killers , Volumes II & III (Tres Tria)
Noir Erasure Poetry
Songs of the Raven
Cellar Door, Volumes I & II
Poiesis Review #6
and many others

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work? I just finished a autism/Sci-fi/horror themed poem for consideration in a fund raising anthology for autism. The theme was selected by the publishers. I have known autistic people in the past. I also sent some new work to “Alternating Current” for consideration in a new Native American themed journal the press will be putting out. I have tried to work with or assist First People or their issues and causes when I can.

Where can we find your work? Hopefully, on your bookshelf or reading table.

       How often do you write? I strive for daily writing. Sometimes other things do get in the way-even Major Depression that can keep me my pencil tip off the edge of the paper for a while.

       How do you react to rejections? I probably have experienced every emotion under the rainbow. In the early years, I wasn’t sending much work out. Then when a rejection arrived-it was often pretty devastating. Eventually, I wised up a little bit and had more manuscripts under consideration. Then I had a number of acceptances to go along with the rejections and it made it easier to keep moving forward with the ink pen.

       How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication? Sometimes, I still get elated, but often I just foot solider on. I get a lot of enjoyment out of the process of writing these days.

       What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer? Usually, nobody tells or may not know what is going on. When the word “marginalization” is used that’s often the entire explanation. Nobody explains to a kid all the changes that have occurred in society to get his/her chosen art form to the marginalized land. For one hundred years or so, the independent newspapers were bought up and put out of business. These papers often had a poetry tradition. New inventions such at movies, TV, radio, videos, computers and other things came along. Academic poetry was elevated and the range of acceptable topics that qualify as literature in narrow. If you know this and more-it’s easier to mentally dig in for the long haul.
 A hundred years ago the certain elite started buying up the little independent newspapers and taking them over or putting them out of business. These little papers often ran poetry or political poetry. Moreover, in the major newspapers, Ed Guest was about the last major political poet. After that advertisers were successful in keeping political poetry out. In the 1960s and 1970s this process repeated itself in the “alternative weekly” type papers for the most part.
 Edward Bernays started to help shape public opinion through advertisings. After that many more followed into what exists of the corporate media today.  All of these factors and more shape what is sold or ignored in today’s marketplace. Bernay’s wrote some books that poets or writers might examine. “Propaganda” was one of them. Bernays’ was also successful at selling the American public his uncle Sigmund Freud and getting American women to smoke in large numbers.

       What is your favorite book? Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

       Who is your favorite author? I tend to like countless small press poets. So many of them are doing wonderful work…..In the last 6-8 years a lot of my poetry heroes and/or friends have passed on, so; it has been tough. I guess if I reader was new or lived overseas-he/she might not be familiar with some of these folks: Wilma Elizabeth McDaniel, Joe Speer, Dave Church, Dave Christie, Ed Galing, Kell Robertson, Todd Moore, Hugh Fox, Norbert Blei and others. One Berkeley Painter/Haiku poet that I met was named Walter Liggett. Walter ended up sending me a book that his late sister, Marda had written. The book was entitled “Stopping the Presses” by University of Minnesota Press. It focused on the murder of Walter Liggett Senior  a famous newspaperman in the 1930s by organized crime. Walter Liggett II passed on a few years back

        If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why? Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven.” I’d like to understand the blessed darkness a little better. I’ll bring the night crawlers and road or mansion kill.

        What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer? Ongoing “Social Construction or Deconstruction Zones” that don’t include small press poets as part of the new blueprints.

        What is your favorite word? Yes! “Accepted” is a close second.

        What makes you laugh? Charles Ries and Catfish McDaris poems and stories.

      What makes you cry? A lot of things in the world bring me down. In poetry seeing elevated writers getting paid for their silence.

What is your preferred drink while you write? Coffee. In earlier years, the harder stuff led to fewer poems seeing completion, and getting into the mail for consideration.

Beach or Mountains? Cliffside at the beach.

Cats or Dogs? A cat on my lap watching dogs romp around the yard. Both are well represented in the online videos that bombard the mail.

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones? Later Beatles. Earlier Stones. Actually back in the day-all those charting artists had a lot of talent. In addition to The Beatles and Stones I listened to Black Sabbath, Doors, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra? Hendrix! I agree with folks in the past who thought “All Along The Watchtower” performed by Jimi Hendrix and written by Dylan was one of the most magical songs in rock history.

Shakespeare or Bukowski? Both of these writers made me want to enter and keep writing in the poetry world!


     Please provide as much or as little of the following information as you’d like.

Personal website/blog: None

Facebook profile or page: David S. Pointer

Twitter profile: @dspointer

Other page(s) or profile(s): None

      Books for sale and/or press

Beyond Shark Tag Bay-Soon to Be Released: Blurb Books online
Bookmobile: From The Library of Jesus Crisis coming from “Crisis Chronicles Press”
Oncoming Crime Facts available at www.lulu.com
The Psychobilly Princess available at www.lulu.com
Sinister Splashplay available at www.lulu.com
Sundrenched Nonosilver available at www.blurb.com
Warhammer Piano Bar available at www.lulu.com


      Anything you’d like to share about your country, its people, or native animals?

Well, the opossum is the only animal that I know of-native to North America that can hang from it’s tail upside down.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment