Monday, March 3, 2014

Watering the Plant / And the Music Surges



James Babbs

My story Hey Dave was published in November at GoReadYourLunch.com.  I continue to live and write from the same small Illinois town where I grew up.  I have published hundreds of poems over the past thirty years, both, in print and online.  I am the author of Disturbing The Light(2013) & The Weight of Invisible Things(2013).

Watering the Plant

I was watering the plant
I keep in the window
the one my mother gave me
before she moved away
when it suddenly occurred to me
I hadn’t heard anything from you
in a really long time
how long had it been
I tried to remember
pulling some dead leaves loose and
holding them in my hand
gazing out the window
trying to find the answer
but seeing only the bare trees
beneath the harsh gray sky
miles of empty fields
waiting for another spring


And the Music Surges

right around four and
I’ve finished drinking the coffee
left over from this morning and
I’ve got Neil and Crazy Horse
cranked up in the other room
and the music surges and grinds
and everything sounds so long ago
but keeps getting closer all the time
and I’m not sure why
but it reminds me of something
my father once told me
about how it felt getting old
the way his body kept changing
and how he could no longer do
the same things he did before
but he told me how strange it was
because in his mind
he still felt young
he felt like he hadn’t changed
and at the time
I wasn’t sure what he meant
and the music surges and grinds
and the sun bleeds red and gold
when it’s going down
and I back away from the table
I think I understand now
what he was talking about



No comments:

Post a Comment