Thursday, April 10, 2014

INTERVIEW: SONNY GIORDANO

Name?
Sonny Giordano

Age?
28

Location?
Southern California. Specifically, Azusa.

How long have you been writing?
For about 15 years or so. I wrote my first poetry at 12 or 13, but began writing in earnest somewhere around 17. It’s one of the few things I’ve ever stuck with.

Do you have a specific writing style?
I’m not certain I do. I try to write in a style that will best serve the particular piece. Typically I’m very conversational, flowery but also relaxed. Intensely casual. Maybe I’ve “found my voice”, as it were.

Do you write as a career?
Not yet.

Do you write full-time?
I do write all the time. My job gets in the way often enough.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer?
Anytime a reader says that they’ve connected to something I wrote. Anytime I hear that my writing meant something to somebody, made them feel or relate. That always feels like a great accomplishment.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer?
To reach people, to help in whatever many ways art can help. I want to give somebody the feeling I had the first time I read Cohen or Kerouac. Then, to acquire the time and freedom to spend all my days with nothing to do but write and read.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer?
To write, and not just daydream.

What projects of yours have been recently published?
My first published material is my book I’m Sorry I Was Late, But I’m Here Now which is coming out soon on Punk Hostage Press.

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work?
After ‘I’m Sorry I Was Late…” comes out, I’ll be doing readings for that, and immediately start compiling another manuscript. I’ll be behind the scenes at Punk Hostage. There are a lot of short stories I’d like to finish, and scripts I’d like to draft. What has inspired all these works is the same thing; something comes to me in the back of my head with a story to tell, and informs me that I’ve been chosen to tell it.

Where can we find your work?
sonnygiordano.com and the Sonny Giordano Facebook page are the best places for now, until the book is available online through Punk Hostage Press.

How often do you write?
I sit down in front of my computer and write as often as I can, which is usually a few nights a week and Sundays. But whenever something hits me, or I get a thought stuck in my head anytime of the day or night I’ll scribble it in a notebook or type it into my phone.

How do you react to rejections?
I don’t like taking “no” for an answer. But I’m not for everybody.

How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication?
It’s pretty surreal. It’s a big dream of mine panning out to be published.

What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer?
Don’t try to stay sane. Feel all of it, and don’t turn away.

What is your favorite book?
Damn. That’s tough. ‘The Black Dahlia’ by James Ellroy was the book that returned me to the love of reading and writing at a time when I had lost my way. For that it holds a special place in my heart. Reading it reminded me of how much I loved to read, it made me feel like I had to try and write again. Knowing a story, a book, could be that good woke me back up and re-ignited my drive and passion.

Who is your favorite author?
There’s so many. Leonard Cohen is my favorite writer to read.

If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why?
Gregor Samsa

What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer?
Either becoming or not becoming one with your art. I’m not sure yet.

What is your favorite word?
That changes often enough. Sometimes “horseshit” or “

What makes you laugh?
Sad things, painful things, scary things.

What makes you cry?
Damn near everything.

What is your preferred drink while you write?
These days it’s a cold club soda. Used to be Jim Beam and Diet Coke.

Beach or Mountains?
My porch.

Cats or Dogs?
My cat is dead, and so is my dog. So, both. But neither.

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
The Rolling Stones.

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra?
Sinatra.

Shakespeare or Bukowski?
Giordano.

Please provide as much or as little of the following information as you’d like.
Personal website/blog: sonnygiordano.com
Facebook profile or page: Sonny Giordano www.facebook.com/sonnygiordanowrites
I’m Sorry I Was Late But I’m Here Now www.facebook.com/imsorryiwaslatebutimherenow
Punk Hostage Press www.punkhostagepress.com/
Punk Hostage Press on FB www.facebook.com/PunkHostagePress
Twitter profile: @SonnysWords
Other page(s) or profile(s): Instagram; sonnygiordano
Books for sale and/or press: I’m Sorry I Was Late, But I’m Here Now (by Sonny Giordano) on Punk Hostage Press.

Anything you’d like to share about your country, its people, or native animals?
The natives here weren’t indigenous, and long ago they chose domestication. A hard domestication. Nothing looks like freedom, but they don’t actually care about being captive if you call the captivity freedom. There’s animals, but they’re just like the people, to be food or to be caged.

6 comments:

  1. In a sleepy haze I failed to finish answering the "What is your favorite word?" question. So, now my favorite words are "typo", "cliffhanger", and "details".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice..I especially like the final question..perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your answer to the l last question

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your answer to the l last question

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gregor Samsa... with an answer like that this is a man after my own heart...

    ReplyDelete