Sunday, June 8, 2014

INTERVIEW: GERALD SO



Name? Gerald So

Location? Long Island

How long have you been writing? 26 years.

Do you have a specific writing style? I try to write what fits whatever I'm working on. My writing is usually spare.

Do you write as a career? Yes.

Do you write full-time? Yes.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer? Not giving up poetry, nonfiction, or fiction to do just one type of writing.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer? My goal is to always have a next project, to never run out of things to write about.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer? Writing long, since my natural style is short.

What projects of yours have been recently published? I just had a poem accepted to Midnight Lane Gallery's Midnight On the Stroll poetry contest. MLG is a digital art gallery curated by Johnny Longfellow that solicits poems on the theme of street life, the site's art, or its music.

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work? A novel about a 1930s aviator has been on my mind for twenty years. I hope to write several novels someday, but today, does this interview count? Inspired by Catfish McDaris.

Where can we find your work? Online and in print. I regularly plug my work at my blog, http://geraldso.blogspot.com/

How often do you write? As often as I can. When I get absorbed in projects, I forget how long or often I write. I keep at it as long as it takes to finish.

How do you react to rejections? I react well since I'm also an editor. If I agree a project needs work, I work on it and submit it until it's accepted elsewhere.

How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication? I thank the editor, feel good about myself for half a day or so, then try to find the next thing to do.

What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer? Stay in tune with what each project requires of you from moment to moment. Serve those goals, not your ego or other people's ideas of what the project should be.

What is your favorite book? Don Quixote.
Who is your favorite author? I read too many to have a favorite.

If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why? Robert B. Parker's Spenser because he can cook.

What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer? Spending too much time in one's own head, not connecting with other people or the outside world.

What is your favorite word? I like too many to have a favorite.

What makes you laugh? The right words in the right order, delivered the right way.

What makes you cry? Loss or memory of things and people disappeared.

What is your preferred drink while you write? Water. It's at the heart of every drink. Might as well get down to it.

Beach or Mountains? Neither. I prefer level ground.

Cats or Dogs? Neither.

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones? Either.

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra? Hendrix.

Shakespeare or Bukowski? Both.


Please provide as much or as little of the following information as you’d like.

Personal website/blog: http://geraldso.blogspot.com/

Twitter profile: http://twitter.com/g_so

Other page(s) or profile(s): http://poemsoncrime.blogspot.com

      Books for sale and/or press: http://geraldso.blogspot.com/p/buy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment