Saturday, September 13, 2014

Untitled Poems by Mike Meraz


Mike Meraz lives and writes in Los Angeles, CA. 


My step mom
Says poetry
Is something
Children
Do

I think of all
The poets
Who have helped
Me along the
Way

Kerouac
Bukowski
Brautigan
Plath

Hooray
For the
Children.


*

We kissed
In the pouring
Rain
Like some
Stupid
Romantic
Comedy
 
Then we
Broke up
Under the
Hot
Sun
Like in some
Chekhov
Novel
 
Then I wrote
About it
Later in the
Style of the
Street
Poets
 
Everything
Is
Art.


*

A book with pages
A girl with love,
Some things actually do
Make sense.


*

You made
Your stand in
An old house in
New Orleans
2 blocks from
Bourbon
Street
Like some 
Rumi of the
Red light
District

You penned down
Every instance
That shined
Light
Or
Captivated

You ate
All the Southern
Style
Foods

Even fed
Cats

Ate up all
The 
Magic

Til one day
It 
Ended

Just like
It
Began

With hell
On your
Heels 

And
Poems in
Your 
Head.


2 comments:

  1. Hooray for the children! is right.

    What is it with stepmothers and poetry today? On the flipside of your poem, I log onto FB and under a post regarding a magazine my poems are in my stepmother asks where she can read some of my poetry. This should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep getting better.. Rock on Mikey

    ReplyDelete