Monday, October 13, 2014

INTERVIEW: CHARLES BANKS JR.


Name? Charles Banks, Jr.

Age? 25 years old.

Location? Long Beach, California

How long have you been writing? Since Age nine.

Do you have a specific writing style? I think every writer is different in his or her own unique approach to writing. But I don’t think I can objectively categorize my own writing. I do like to hear and read what readers of my work have to say though.

Do you write as a career? Yes. I have written seven books of poems (three poetry chapbooks) and aspire to write novels and screenplays.

Do you write full-time? Yes, full-time!

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment as a writer? I think my greatest accomplishment as a writer is having the ability to recreate the human experience.

What is your ultimate goal as a writer? My ultimate goal as a writer is to recreate the human experience. Through writing, I have come to realize that all humans experience the same emotions, trials and tribulations, highs and lows, regardless of Race or ethnic background.

What is your greatest challenge as a writer? My greatest challenge as a writer used to be authenticity. But now I feel much more comfortable in my own skin as an individual. So much that I don’t have any anxieties about what I write, or how people will react to my writing.

What projects of yours have been recently published? In the last year, I have published three chapbooks of poetry. Concrete Promises (Writing as Curiosity), Burdens (Writing as Black Angel), and Confessions of a Hopeless Romantic (Writing as Black Angel).

What are you currently working on and what inspired this work? At the moment, I am promoting my recent book, Confessions of a Hopeless Romantic (Writing as Curiosity), and finishing up another poetry chapbook called #TheRealness, which is two chapbooks in one. Confessions was inspired by the high and low points of a relationship.

Where can we find your work? My work is available on Lulu.com, Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com and PublishAmerica.net.

       How often do you write? I do not write every day! It all depends on whether or not I am working on a book. I like to develop concepts for books before actually writing the book.

       How do you react to rejections? Rejection used to bother me when I was younger. But, like most writers come to realize, rejection is a part of the business. And since I am a publisher also at Spilt Ink Poetry, I understand both sides of the coin.

       How do you react when one of your submissions is accepted for publication? It humbles me. It’s so difficult to get published. I consider it a great accomplishment to get published. It means that my words have resonated with someone, and that in itself is a humbling experience.

       What is your best piece of advice on how to stay sane as a writer? I would suggest that writers remember why they began writing in the first place. In my opinion, writing is a journey, and intimate journey between writer, pen, and page. It can be pleasurable at times, and unnerving. But that is life in a nutshell.

       What is your favorite book? I don’t have a favorite book. My personal library, which has over two hundred novels, anthologies, and poetry collections, is quite diverse.

       Who is your favorite author? Some of my favorite authors include Langston Hughes, Theodore Roethke, and Lucille Clifton.

        If you could have dinner with one fictional character, who would it be and why? I would love to meet Jesse and Celine from those “Before Sunset” “Before Sunrise” “Before Midnight” movies. I don’t know, I think it’s pretty cool that two complete strangers can meet spontaneously and instantly connect.

        What is the greatest occupational hazard for a writer? Not sure.

        What is your favorite word? PEACE.

        What makes you laugh? Witty humor. Like television shows such as Frasier.

      What makes you cry? When children suffer from illness or disease.

What is your preferred drink while you write? I do not drink while writing.

Beach or Mountains? Mountains.

Cats or Dogs? Dogs.

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones? The Beatles.

Jimi Hendrix or Frank Sinatra? Sinatra.

Shakespeare or Bukowski? Bukowski.


     Please provide as much or as little of the following information as you’d like.

Personal website/blog:





Facebook profile or page:



Twitter profile:



Other page(s) or profile(s):




      Books for sale and/or press






QUESTIONS: Please answer in 5 words or less
1. Where do you live, city & country or state?  Long Beach, California, USA.
2. From your country what is the most unusual food you like, that most foreigners would hate? None.
3.  If you had to live in any country besides yours, what would be your favorite & least favorite, in that order? Paris, France. Genoa, Italy. Amsterdam.
4. If you were stranded naked on a deserted island & were allowed one thing, what would it be? (no transportation allowed) A book, a pen and notebook.
5.  If you could only choose one book as your favorite, what would it be? Charlotte’s Web.
6. If you could have a conversation with anyone, dead & alive, who would it be, in that order? Cain, from the Bible. Michael Jackson, Napoleon Bonaparte.
7. If you could have sex with anyone, dead & alive, who would it be, in that order? Mariah Carey, Marilyn Monroe, Kate Winslet, Stacey Dash.
8. What is your favorite movie & television show, in that order? Frasier, Dexter, Before Sunrise, Halloween, Chucky.
9. If you could only have one super power, what would it be? Premonitions.
10. If you found a magic lamp & got three wishes, what would they be? 1. Cancer-free. 2. Success. 3. WORLD PEACE.


No comments:

Post a Comment