Friday, October 3, 2014

New York to Chicago An Email Alert / Singles Dance at the Union Hall / So You Came Tomorrow, Hear?


Nominated for Best of the Net and Pushcart prizes, Donal Mahoney has had work published in Mad Swirl and other publications in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa. Some of his earliest work can be found at http://booksonblog12.blogspot.com


New York to Chicago: An Email Alert

By email I ask her
what color panty
what color bra

Red, she replies
Silk. Lace.
Saks.

Stockings
or panty hose?

Stockings, she says.
Very high.
Seams.

Flats or heels?

Stilettos
in my suitcase,
she says. 
Small shop
off Broadway.

Take a cab
from the airport,
I tell her.
I'll pay

if the pilot
won't land in 
our yard.



Singles Dance at the Union Hall


A skirt too tight on Carol Ann
summoned forth a handsome man

who said he had a foolproof plan
to help her get that skirt off

once the dance was over but 
she'd have to take him home.

He couldn't help her now
and interrupt the band. 

Carol Ann had often heard 
better lines from men and so

she told him she had criteria
to qualify a man who sought

to verify her assets.
First, he had to be a gentleman,

obtain the blessing of her father, 
and flash a rock with many facets.

Only then might such a man
have a chance to say "I do."


So You Come Back Tomorrow, Hear?


The next morning the lady says 
take me out for breakfast
someplace I have never been
someplace I will never see again 
unless you come back 
and take me there again
an empty diner where the grill man 
gives us sausage, bacon, eggs, 
pours more coffee in our mugs.
That's the place I want to go forever.
So you come back tomorrow, hear?
and take me there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment