Sunday, November 16, 2014

2 Dogs / Red Sun



James Babbs continues to live and write from the same small Illinois town where he grew up.  He has published hundreds of poems over the past thirty years and, recently, a few short stories.  James is the author of Disturbing The Light(2013) & The Weight of Invisible Things(2013).


2 Dogs

I saw two dogs this morning
running past my window
two dogs disappearing
around the corner of the house
saw them again
in the front yard
sniffing the bushes
growing along the drive
two dogs out in the rain
and I watched them
crossing the road
two dogs running
across the field
the wet and muddy field
I saw them
they just kept going
two dogs
how funny they looked
they surely must have been real



Red Sun

I sent her a text and
wished her a Happy Birthday
I wanted her to have a good one
even though
we weren’t together anymore
I don’t know
maybe it was my way
of telling her it was okay
we both knew
it was never going to work
I poured more wine into my cup
set the bottle on the table
before leaning back in my chair
the red sun in the western sky
looked like an open wound
the light changing to blood
spilling through the air

No comments:

Post a Comment